Saturday, December 22, 2012

CISTERCIAN WOODS - A Wild Warm Wind



December 23, 2002

I will myself bring him near
And so he shall approach me, says the Lord

(Jeremiah 30)

Sr. Una has left this morning to spend the day with her family in Dublin. She will spend Christmas alone. The life of a hermit is an amazing calling. We have talked with great ease during our meals together. Alice leaves in a short while. Then I will be the only guest remaining.

We talked a bit about the singing of the monks. Young Br. Richard has the most beautiful voice but it is the sound that comes from Fr. Anthony that is special. He has been Cantor here for 40 years, is a man who suffers and he sings from the depths of his soul. It is most inspiring to listen to him. Nothing can compare with a lifetime lived, a lifetime lived for the Lord, and the prayer emanating from that is quite unparalleld.

A wild warm wind is blowing and the sky hangs low with the threat of rain. After Tierce I will go for a stroll in the fields and the woods.

O Immanuel,
You are our king and judge,
The one whom the peoples await and their Saviour.
O come and save us,
Lord our God.

Fr. Anthony O’Brien, the younger of the two Anthony’s, tells me he’s off to Norway in June to become chaplain to a monastery of nuns. That should be interesting and I’m sure something he never dreamed of. He worked on the farm for 20 years.

I heard in Drogheda that Shirley’s friend Michelle Slattery is back in Glencairn. Michelle had worked in Africa and was MMM novice mistress in Drogheda before she moved to the Cistercians and as soon as she made final profession as a Cistercian she was sent to Nigeria as novice mistress. I thought at the time how funny and strange and wise God is. To leave a missionary congregation for a contemplative one, only to find yourself sent back to the missions. Anyway I’m sure she’s glad to be back in her own monastery. Shirley and I visited her in Glencairn once or twice.

I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord,
Plans for welfare and not for evil,
To give you a future and a hope.

You will seek me and find me
When you seek me with all your heart.

(Jeremiah 29,11.13)

He…renews your youth like an eagle’s

(Psalm 103,5)

Walking through the woods on this gloomy day that is swept by wind and rain, I thought it might be Barnabas unseen, ahead, leaving in his wake an angelic lucent trail that caused to glow underfoot the brown leaves, and stones emerald in moss. It really seemed that they were lit up. Dead leaves glowing embers in a golden fire. And I got thoroughly soaked, though I didn’t mind at all.

***

Alone for the start of lunch, I was soon joined by two young men who came to visit Br. Richard. One of them is at the Irish College in Rome and served at Emmet’s diaconate. The other is on a year out from Maynooth and appears earnest and innocent. A while later John Guidera, cousin of our man of the same name. He lives in Dublin and I’ve met him many times in Pallotti House.

Spent the afternoon trying to write a bit of poetry and had supper alone in the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home