Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I WOULD RATHER NOT GO



In all truth I tell you, when you were young you put on your own belt and walked where you liked; but when you grow old you will stretch out your hands, and somebody else will put a belt round you and take you where you would rather not go.' (John 21:18)

It may come to pass
That when I grow old
I will always be cold
By the fire
In the draft
Of an open door

Afraid when left
On my own
By my own disowned

And when I lose myself
My self control
They will take me
To a place where
I would rather not go

Leaving me there
Until I go senseless

And then I will cry like a child
With an ache that is not understood
Not having the words to define it

And all I will know
Is a far distant fear
Ever near
That I am unfit for Communion

And raising the cap
I no longer possess with respect
I will cry like a child

Until Christ be in everything
And everything within me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home